Berkshire County Seal -Green

Treasurers are the liaisons between the employees and their retirement system.  

Treasurers and Employers

Notes for Treasurers and Employers

•  Be sure to have new employees sign the SSA-1945 form PRIOR to hiring.


•  For new employees, please send  the retirement board:  enrollment form,

   beneficiary form, birth and marriage certificates, and DD214 if applicable.

   These forms should be submitted before you process employee’s first payroll.


•  Notify our office of any change in status, such as marital status (divorced,

   married, widowed); employment status changes due to termination, reduced

   hours or earnings (be sure to send letters of resignation or termination letters);

   change of address; change of beneficiary.


•  Monthly retirement deduction reports are due into our office by the 10th day

   of the following month.


•  Injury reports – we need a copy of the Workers’ Comp or 111F injury forms at

   the time of every injury, even if there is no lost time.


•  Let us know if you hire a retiree of Berkshire County Retirement or another

   Massachusetts Contributory Retirement System to work after retirement and

   be sure to keep track of their hours and earnings.


•  New employees must be enrolled if employed 20 hours weekly or more. Temporary

   employees are no longer considered temporary after 6 months and must be enrolled.


•  Elected officials must receive compensation of $5,000 annually or more to be

   eligible for membership.


•  Employees enrolled in another BCRS town or district must be enrolled in your town

   even if working less than 20 hours weekly. New enrollment forms for your town/district

   must be completed (with SSA-1945 form and correct deduction rate).

Learn more about us