• Be sure to have new employees sign the SSA-1945 form PRIOR to hiring.
• For new employees, please send the retirement board: enrollment form,
beneficiary form, birth and marriage certificates, and DD214 if applicable.
These forms should be submitted before you process employee’s first payroll.
• Notify our office of any change in status, such as marital status (divorced,
married, widowed); employment status changes due to termination, reduced
hours or earnings (be sure to send letters of resignation or termination letters);
change of address; change of beneficiary.
• Monthly retirement deduction reports are due into our office by the 10th day
of the following month.
• Injury reports – we need a copy of the Workers’ Comp or 111F injury forms at
the time of every injury, even if there is no lost time.
• Let us know if you hire a retiree of Berkshire County Retirement or another
Massachusetts Contributory Retirement System to work after retirement and
be sure to keep track of their hours and earnings.
• New employees must be enrolled if employed 20 hours weekly or more. Temporary
employees are no longer considered temporary after 6 months and must be enrolled.
• Elected officials must receive compensation of $5,000 annually or more to be
eligible for membership.
• Employees enrolled in another BCRS town or district must be enrolled in your town
even if working less than 20 hours weekly. New enrollment forms for your town/district
must be completed (with SSA-1945 form and correct deduction rate).